Sunday, September 5, 2010

I often get asked how I came up with the idea for The Calling. It is difficult for me to explain without sounding a bit off my nut, but I'll give it a try. I'm sure writers have their own way of developing stories. Some take a very business-like approach and outline and prewrite, and all that other good stuff that was taught to them by some well-meaning english teacher. That has never worked for me.

Believe it or not, I actually hear characters talking to me in my head. They kind of pop up on their own and beginning telling me a story. Sometimes they don't stick around very long, and I never really get a chance to do anything with them. However, some, like Riley, the main character in The Calling, won't leave me alone until I put something down on paper. Sound crazy? Yeah, I know, but that really is how it works for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment